Age

You must be 21 years of age or older to view the stories on this blog.

Joel Chapter 7

Title: Joel Chapter 7
Characters: Joel, Teegan; Acher/Trey; Aiden/Ryder
Series: Another Life
Author's note: A lot of Greek words are used in this series.  Kalos comes from the word Didaskalos which means teacher or guide.  Pais means boy or child


Teegan's hand felt incredibly warm in Joel's.  Joel wanted the physical contact to last a bit longer.  He wanted to glory in the strength and warmth of this man's presence.  At Teegan's quizzical look, Joel let his hand go and stammered out, "so, why don't you show me around?"

"Show you around? You mean give me a chance to tell you all about these wonderful trees?" Teegan laughed.  "My pleasure!  What do you want to know?"

Joel looked around at the fruit laden trees.  He didn't know what questions to ask.  He'd been raised on a farm and had spent his adult life trying to grow food, but Earth's soil had no nutrients left to give.  He'd never seen trees so big and healthy before.  He decided to ask about their size first.  "Are all the trees this big?"

Teegan looked around the orchard and answered, "These aren't that big, really.  Rydir and Adryn trim the trees in the spring.  That way as the apples grow and ripen the branches hang down.  That makes the harvest easier.  We can walk along and pick the apples without having to climb the trees."

"Then why were up in the tree?  If you don't have to climb them to get the fruit?" Joel asked. 

"Just because I don't have to climb them, doesn't mean I don't want to!'

Joel was enchanted at the sight of the young man laughing in front of him.  The midday sunbeams shone through the leaves, dappling Teegan's dark hair in lights and shadows.  This man before him glowed with health and good humor.  His dark eyes almost black, but with a shine of vigor in them. He was like no one Joel had ever met before.  The men and women of Earth had been worn out.  Their prominent feature was that of defeat.  But this man, Teegan, was the epitome of life.  Joel's breath caught in his chest when he smiled at him.

"What? Do I have something on my face?" Teegan asked as he ran his hand over his face.

With a quick smile, Joel said, "no, there's nothing on your face.  Now tell me about the apples."

"They'll be ready to harvest in just a few days.  Then we'll take the fruit to the market square.  Many of the nations and tribes that can't grow the apples will be there. That's why I'm here.  I came down with others from Tarvos.  We help with the harvest of corn and apples.  For each who help, they get a bushel to take home," Teegan explained.

Joel was captivated not only by the man before him but by the intricacies of farming.  He plucked an apple from a low hanging branch.  The sweet juices ran down his chin when he bit into it.  Nothing on earth compared to the crisp fruit.  The two men continued to walk the rows of trees with Joel asking questions between bites. Teegan eagerly answered them.  The two walked row after row talking of farming.

Off in the distance, Joel heard someone calling his name.  "We need to be going back to the house.  I think Aiden and Ryder might be worried."

It wasn't Aiden and Ryder, but Archer and Trey who had come to find Joel.

"Joel, we had started to worry for you when you hadn't returned for the midday meal," Trey said.

Joel looked at the sub closely.  The tension and unhappiness that had been on his face earlier that morning had vanished.  "I went to the market and ran into Aiden and Ryder," Joel excused himself.

"Yes, we figured you'd find your way to their home," Archer said.  "They said you were out here.  But they didn't say you were with a new friend."

"Oh, I'm sorry.  Archer, Trey, this is Teegan.  He's been showing me the orchard," Joel said.

Archer nodded to Teegan.  "Thank you for showing Joel around.  I'm sure that he enjoyed it.  Please excuse us.  Joel hasn't eaten since the morning meal and he's still weak from malnutrition."

Joel bristled at the term weak.  He wanted Teegan to see him as a strong man. One who could take care of him.  "I'm fine," Joel snapped.

"You have to be hungry, Joel.  Its been hours since you've last taken sustenance," Archer stated firmly.  "Aiden has a meal prepared. Let's go."

"Come on, Teegan.  You can tell me more as we eat," Joel said.

He watched as Archer and Trey exchanged a look.  There was a whole conversation that went on with that single look.  Neither man seemed to be the winner of the exchange as they looked back to Joel.  "Very well.  Teegan, we would be happy to have you join us."

Joel didn't understand the reticence he sensed in Trey and Archer, but he wasn't going to question it now.  He was too excited to have more time with the dark eyed man.  Taking Teegan's hand, Joel said, "I would be happy too."

Joel felt his heart skip a beat when Teegan squeezed his hand and smiled at him.  The dark haired man lowered his head and whispered. "As would I."

Joel and Teegan followed behind Archer and Trey as they walked back to the main house.  Joel could feel the energy that coursed between the two men in front of him.  Whatever had happened this morning, seemed to draw them closer together.  He snuck a look at Teegan.  Joel wanted that.  And he wanted it with this man that he had just met.

Soon they were back at the house where Aiden and Ryder waited for them.  They stood on the large wrap around porch as the men walked toward them.  Once on the porch, Joel noticed the table had been set with many bowls of food.

"Joel, there you are.  Did you enjoy your walk?" Aiden asked. Then noticing the man beside Joel, added, "Teegan!  So happy to see you also.  Did you show Joel around?"

"Aiden.  We can talk after Joel has eaten," Ryder growled.  Turning to Joel he continued, "Joel.  It is beyond irresponsible to deny your body nourishment.  Please.  Sit and eat."

Before he sat down, he turned to Teegan.  "Teegan, you sit here.  You must be hungry as well."  Joel was determined to show Teegan, as well as the other couples, that he didn't need the coddling they tried to insist on.  

When Teegan sat down, Joel picked up a wooden plate.  He took a spoonful of each dish that was on the table.  He didn't know what most of the dishes were, but he wanted to make sure Teegan had a little of everything. 

"Here.  If you need more, just ask," he said as he placed the plate in front of Teegan.

"Joel." Archer gritted out between his teeth.  "You are the one who needs the nutrients.  Sit and fill your own plate."

Joel lazily looked at Archer.  He was a dom, damn it.  He need to make sure the subs at the table were taken care of before he ate himself.  As he opened his mouth to tell Archer his thoughts, Archer growled deep in his throat and sent Joel a dark look.  Joel had learned that look meant Archer's hand was soon to make contact with a nearby rear end.

Clearing his throat, Joel said softly, "Yes, Kalos."

The men talked as they ate.  Joel asked questions of fertilizer, growing cycles, and harvest times.  He learned that each season brought a new crop.  With the summer season ending on Gliese, corn and apples were plentiful.  Soon winter wheat would be planted.  The men talked of how the harvests were preserved.  They also talked of the market square where farmers and craftsmen took their wares to be bartered and exchanged.

"Money and metals such as gold and silver aren't used much here," Ryder explained. "Mostly we barter goods and services.  For instance, men and women from Tarvos come down to help us with the harvest.  They receive bushels of food in return for their service."

Joel nodded his understanding of the system.  Bartering had become the norm on earth too.  People couldn't eat paper money, so work in exchange for food had become a necessity. "Yes, that was how things were working on earth.  But I thought with the abundance you have here, a monetary system would be in place."

"We've tried to learn from other worlds what works best," Aiden said. "Your ancients came so long ago, but the lessons they taught us will never be forgotten.  Their desire to exploit the terra that gives to them is something we will not abide here."

"Gliese is full of life," Teegan agreed.  "She offers us her bounty as long as we care for her."

Joel saw love and pride shining through Teegan's dark eyes.  Emotions he hadn't had a chance to feel as earth died beneath his feet. "I want to care for Her as well," Joel said.  "I want to nourish Her and receive Her blessings as well.  Would you show me how?"

Teegan blushed and looked down.  Taking the last bite of the food on his plate, he said, "I would be honored to."

The warmth that came with Teegan's answer coursed through Joel's veins.  He wanted to stroke his hand down Teegan's back in approval.  But before he could, Archer spoke.

"Aiden, Ryder, thank you for the meal.  We have enjoyed the food and the company.  But we must return to our home.  Joel should rest and we have pottery that needs to be fired. And I'm sure that Teegan as well has things to be done."

Teegan looked toward Archer and agreed. "Yes, and I should be going back also."

As the men cleared the table, Joel gathered up his courage. "I'd like to come back and talk with you more.  About farming and, well, other things."

He was rewarded when Teegan's face broke out in a smile.  "Yes, I'd like that too."

When the table was cleared, the men went off on their own separate ways.  Teegan toward a large barn, Aiden and Ryder into their home, and Archer, Trey and Joel set off down the path.

Not too far down the path, Archer cautioned the young dom. "Joel, Teegan is from Tarvos. They have their own ways.  Tarvos is in the north, the weather is cold and unforgiving.  It would be best if you didn't wish for something that would be like reaching beyond the stars,"

Joel stopped and looked hard at Archer. How could explain the feelings he got from this one meeting with Teegan.  He knew there was a connection, he just wanted to make it stronger. He suddenly remembered something his father had told him long ago. "My father always told me the only way you can reach for the stars is by trying.  I'd like to see if Teegan is mine.  My sub.  My star." 

"Be careful of throwing stones to the stars; the sky might fall down," Trey said softly, kicking at a rock on the path.

Joel turned to Trey. "You told me that I would know my own dominance when I met my sub.  I'm finding my dominance to be care-taking.  I feel the need to take care of him, just like I feel it toward you.  But you have a dom. Would you deny me my sub?"

"You just met him!  You cannot be sure he is yours!" Trey yelled back.

"Calm down, Agape," Archer said warningly.  "Joel, you are correct.  We did tell you that your dominance would guide you to your sub.  But to match with one from Tarvos is complicated. They are peace-keepers.  Sometimes through violence. They are warriors.  Even their subs.  Their life can be hard."

Joel looked at Archer in bewilderment.  "Archer, I don't want to disregard all that you have done for me.  But I have lost my family.  My PLANET.  I'm having to learn a whole new way of life as I grieve for a world I can never return to.  My life, my people, everything I have known has been hard. I have the courage and the strength to do what is necessary to find my own destiny.  To find my own mate."

Joel held Archer's gaze as the older, larger dom searched deep into his soul.  Archer put his hand on Joel's shoulder. "Very well, Pais. I will support you  You honor me by giving me great challenges as your Kalos.  Come on.  Let us return to our home and begin your battle plan."

End ch. 7


No comments:

Post a Comment